in recent weeks the public of Somaliland were confused the government deal with the United Arab Emirates navy and airforce establish a base in Berbera.
But, I think such kind of base has it’s riskiness, for several reasons.
1. According to Somaliland’s National constitution article 53 prapgh 3, stating (The House of Representatives shall ratify governmental (international) agreements (treaties) such as political, economic and security agreements or those agreements which impose new financial burdens which have not been covered in the Budget, or which will involve the promulgation or amendment of legislation) Legally it was to submit the house of representatives not the two houses (Gurti (Upper house) and lower house (wakiilada-representatives).
2. It is not mindful to welcome armed foreign forces into your country.
3. Without international recognition, you can’t withdraw foreign forces out of your country, and you don’t have the ability to repress out of your country, for sake of that there is no need to host them in our country.
4. We should not enter the regional conflicts without wise consideration of it’s side effects.
5. The government we contracted with our port, which is our voice-box and the source of our economy, do we also host it’s arms to protect
6. It is not right to call hostility and conflicts, but we need to protect our country’s state of stability.
7. In our country people are facing severe drought and inflation, and we have to search machanisms to deal with their problems, we should not be busy anything else.
8. Let us as see our neighbors who hosted foreign forces and the negative impact they inherted, see Somalia, South Sudan etc.
9. If we are hosting foreign forces, it is wise to host the the armies of the powerful countries, which we can get benefits, like recognition or can protect us. Let us remember Somaliland’s late president Mohamed H. Ibrahim Egal refuses United States of America to base in Berber without recognition. “We can accept Berbera as a US base if Washington recognizes Somaliland” He said.
For sake of that, without recognition, we should not accept.
never recognized Somaliland as state, and accepting its troops in Somaliland means occupation.
Contracting your port with Emirati Company in the port and its forces there, is equal you donated that part of your territory to them.
About the war in Yemen, I do not know anytime we (as Somaliland state) get into war in Yemen. Because we have enough problems to deal instead of getting into war in Yemen. For example our people are suffering into severe drought.
By:Dr Hussien Al-Fariidi”